What you should do when you get an IRS bill

What you should do when you get an IRS bill

If you agree with the information on the bill, pay the full amount before the due date. If you cannot pay the full amount due, either apply for an installment agreement, an offer in compromise, or request additional time to pay because payment would prevent you from meeting basic living expenses. You can delay collection until you’re able to pay. Prior to approving the request you may be asked to complete a Collection Information Statement and provide substantiation of financial status. Delays in collection charges penalties and interest, and may file notice of federal tax lien.

If you disagree with the information on the bill, call the number on the bill, or visit your local IRS office. Be sure to have a copy of the bill and any tax returns, cancelled checks, or other records that will help the IRS understand why you believe your bill is wrong. If the IRS finds that you are right, they will adjust your account and if necessary, send a revised bill.

If you don’t pay the amount due or tell the IRS why you disagree with it, they may take collection actions.

If you are in bankruptcy, notify the IRS. The bankruptcy may not eliminate your tax debt, but the IRS may temporarily stop collection. Call the number on your bill, have the following information available, location of court, bankruptcy date, chapter and bankruptcy number.

Contact The Barzin Law Firm to review the validity of taxes owed